STEREOTYPICAL STUDENT FILM SHOTS
1. Character looking at their reflection in a mirror
2. Close up on character's feet putting on shoes
3. Following a character walk on a sidewalk to some unknown location
4. Love shown with flowers and kissy kisses
5. Alarm clock wake up
6. Riding on a bus and thinking really hard
7. Unmotivated dolly movements
8. A "car crash" that is just a character reacting to a sound off screen
9. A "gun shot" that is just a character jerking a gun and a frame of white
10. Close-up on a hand opening a door knob
11. A "crowd" that seems to only have three people, shot close to look bigger
12. The VERY unmotivated dolly/zoom to indicate someone going nuts
13. Heartbeat sound
14. Close up of religious item to indicate person's religion
This website also has a lot of great ones.
This list is a collaboration of other student filmmaker friends. The best part? A lot of these shots are in our films 🙂
In my life as a filmmaker, I have done 1, 2, 4, 10 and 11 -- but as I mold my craft, I am learning how to show things a lot better!
The truth is - these shots can work, just do them right!
Any others? Post them below!