A historical documentary film
Business and Professional Women - A History, A Movement™
Ashley Maria collaborated with fellow BPW member and Producer Lea-Ann W. Berst, to tell the historical story of the Business and Professional Women (BPW) organization. Together they researched and produced this short documentary (22 min); sharing the progressive history of BPW and how BPW programs have positively impacted the lives of working women – yesterday, today and well into the future.
Women's groups make donations to Ashley's feature film, Pioneers in Skirts™, in order to secure a DVD and the rights to screen this film. Learn more here!
We at BPW have a goal to motivate and educate; promoting the welfare of all women in the workplace. This film is inspiring – and a must-see for women of all ages to experience! -- Mimi Zelman, BPW/NC President
BPW's history and beyond
The Business and Professional Women's organization was founded in 1919 as a member-based non-profit with a mission to advocate for and promote the professional and personal growth of women in the workplace. An American historical film, BPW: A History A Movement is screened at BPW conferences, events, new member orientations around the globe.
The film features longtime BPW members who sat down for a “tea-time circle” chat about the struggles and triumphs of the organization. You’ll see historical images dating back to 1917, and learn about the traditions of the Business and Professional Women's organization, the oldest working women’s advocacy group in the world.
- The reason why women were organized in 1917, and how they joined together to form "BPW" in 1919
- When the Nike and the Red Purse became symbols for the Business and Professional Women's Organization
- A discussion between longtime American members, highlighting the need for continued advocacy globally
- The battle for the Equal Rights Amendment to become law
- The benefits of BPW membership
- The future for BPW - an appreciation for what has been done, and looking ahead
- The Collect, the BPW Emblem Benediction song (to the tune of Blest Be the Tie that Binds)